The best comebacks in National League history

street sign comeback

There is a saying in football that 2-0 is a dangerous scoreline, as it can quickly be overturned. While a two-goal deficit is often overcome, it is harder to overcome a three-goal gap.

However, many teams have achieved the feat in the National League. Here are the most impressive comebacks from a three-goal deficit in recent National League history:

Wrexham (Gameweek 37 in season 2021/22 vs Dover Athletic)

In true Hollywood style, Wrexham came back from 5-2 down against Dover Athletic at that Racecourse Ground to win 6-5. The comeback took just 26 minutes.

The turnaround was inspired by two injury-time goals from homegrown midfielder Jordan Davies. The game was part of the Red Dragons’ failed attempt at promotion, although they did go up the following season.

Solihull Moors (Gameweek 4 in season 2022/23 vs Scunthorpe United)

Things looked bleak for Solihull in the clash at Glanford Park, as they found themselves three goals down within the first 36 minutes of their clash with Scunthorpe United.

However, the visitors scored two goals just before half-time. The game was completely turned on its head in the last eight minutes, as goals from Andy Dallas and Alex Reid had put the Moors 4-3 up by the 85th minute. The visitors held on for an extraordinary victory.

Dagenham and Redbridge (Gameweek 29 in season 2018/19 vs Boreham Wood)

Dagenham and Redbridge came back from 3-0 down to rescue a 4-4 draw against Boreham Wood. On home soil, the Daggers were three goals down by the 35th minute.

However, in a crazy period from the 41st minute until half-time, they struck three times to level the scores.

Peter Taylor’s team looked set to claim all three points when Liam Gordon scored on 74 minutes. It wasn’t to be, though, as Boreham Wood struck on 87 minutes to rescue a point for the Wood.

Cambridge United (Gameweek 20 in season 2010/11 vs Tamworth)

Cambridge looked to be heading to defeat at the Abbey Stadium after falling three goals down on 58 minutes.

However, goals from Robbie Wilmott, Jordan Patrick and Adam Marriott had levelled the scores by the 77th minute to earn United a draw.

Ebbsfleet United (Gameweek 44 in season 2018/19 vs Havant and Waterlooville)

Havant and Waterlooville raced into a three-goal half-time lead at the Draper Tools Community Stadium courtesy of a brace from Alfie Rutherford and a Danny McNamara strike.

However, Ebbsfleet produced a sensational second-half comeback. Goals from Danny Kedwell, Michael Cheek, and Sam Magri had drawn the visitors level before the hour mark, and the game eventually finished 3-3.

Mansfield Town (Gameweek 34 in season 2010/11 vs Newport County)

Mansfield Town pulled their home game with Newport County back to 3-3 after the visitors had established a three-goal lead by the 28th minute.

Incredibly, Town had levelled the scores before the break as striker Louis Moult bragged a brace on either side of a Louis Briscoe effort. The comeback took just 14 minutes.

Welling United (Gameweek 38 in season 2015/16 vs Southport)

Welling United were losing 3-0 by the 59th minute, with Mike Phenix, Josh Thompson and Mark O’Brien getting on the scoresheet.

United had a chance to make it 1-1 on 40 minutes, but Southport goalkeeper Max Crocombe saved Scott Kashket’s penalty.

The visitors took until the 74th minute to get on the scoresheet. Sahr Kabba scored a second goal, and Ian Gayle levelled matters with just a minute of regular time left on the clock.

Rushden and Diamonds (Gameweek 23 in season 2010/11 vs Hayes and Yeading)

Hayes and Yeading established a three-goal lead by the 58th minute courtesy of a hat-trick from striker Elliott Buchanan.

Rushden and Diamonds got back in the game in the 68th minute through a Sam Smith goal. He scored a second goal ten minutes later before Luke Posser levelled the scores with just five minutes left on the clock.

Kidderminster (Gameweek 16 in season 2014/15 vs Barnet)

Barnet scored three goals between the 32nd and 43rd minutes through Luisma Villa, Lee Cook and John Akinde.

Kidderminster’s comeback started on 58 minutes courtesy of a Michael Gash goal. With ten minutes remaining, Nathan Blissett scored the visitor’s second goal, and two minutes later, Blissett struck his second goal of the game to clinch a point.

Forest Green Rovers (Gameweek 18 in season 2014/15 vs Lincoln City)

Lincoln City established a three-goal lead after 62 minutes through goals from Delano Sam-Yorke, Karl Ledsham and substitute Jordan Burrow.

The three-goal lasted just seven minutes as James Norwood got the home team back in the contest. Two minutes later, the forward grabbed his brace.

The turnaround was complete in dramatic style as Dale Bennett struck four minutes into stoppage time to level the scores.

Which of the National League comebacks on our list is your favourite?

By Bob